Saturday, April 17, 2010

Spicy Indian Coconut Fish Curry

I just love this really simple, but delectable recipe I came up with on they fly one night when my mother was came over to my house for supper. When she arrived, I informed her much to her and my step-father's dismay, that I was making tilapia. "isn't that the fish you made that tasted like dirt?" she said to my stepfather. I assured her (even though I wasn't convinced myself) that the fish was going to be good tonight, and much to every one's surprise, it was delicious! It has changed a few people's minds about the dirty tasting tilapia. They even asked for the recipe, so here it is...

Ingredients:
-coconut oil for cooking
-3 to 6 fillets of white fish (tilapia, mahi mahi, swordfish, etc)
-1/2 to 1 c. coconut milk
-1/2 to 1 tbs. garam masala
-1 tbs. dried curry leaves
-1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or chili powder
-1 tbs. fresh ginger or sushi ginger (gari), chopped
-1/2 tsp. salt, or to taste
-2 to 3 tbs. finely chopped cilantro leaves

Preheat oven to 350F.
Heat oil in an oven safe skillet over medium heat. Add fish fillets, and without turning, sprinkle garam masala onto fish. Salt pan with half of your salt. Immediately put pan into preheated oven. Bake fish until white and opaque, about 15 minutes. Remove pan from oven (all the while remembering the pan handle is very hot) and add the curry leaves, coconut milk, cayenne or chili powder, ginger, black pepper, and the rest of your salt, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Serve with cilantro sprinkled on top with jasmine rice to accompany.

No comments:

Post a Comment